Earleigh Heights Station
The Earleigh Heights Store and Station was built in 1889 by Gustav T. Hetschel and Henry Frost as a dwelling, post office, and Baltimore and Annapolis Shortline Railroad ticket office (1). That railroad was created in 1887 and Earleigh Heights was one of thirty stops between Camden Station in Baltimore and Bladen Street in Annapolis. The Earleigh Heights Store and Station represents the post-railroad growth and development r~rleigh Heights township. This building is the oldest of Anne Arundel County's four surviving railroad stations, c.. 1s further significant as an excellent example of Second Empire-style architecture. This nationally occurring style was most popular between 1850 and 1885 and was frequently used in the construction of public buildings (2). In 1988 Anne Arundel County acquired the building and a historic property easement granted to the Maryland Historical Trust. The building, which was badly altered and in a deteriorated state, was restored and converted into a Ranger Station for the Baltimore and Annapolis Hiking-Biking Trail Park.